THE 2020 NMEW ESSAY CONTEST THEME:
Thinking ethically, do the ends ever justify the means?
DEADLINE MAY 1st, 2020
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY MAY 15th, 2020
03/26/2020 – SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
DUE TO STATEWIDE SCHOOL CLOSURES WE HAVE EXPANDED THE CONTEST THIS YEAR TO INCLUDE ALL HIGH-SCHOOL GRADE LEVELS. OUR HOPE IS FOR ALL HIGH-SCHOOL STUDENTS TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ENGAGE IN MEANINGFUL ACADEMIC WORK WHILE WE WAIT FOR OUR SCHOOLS TO REOPEN.
- An entrant must be a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior at a New Mexico high school
- All entries must be received by the contest deadline to be considered. The deadline for the 2020 NMEW Essay Contest has been extended to 11:59pm MST on Friday, May 15th, 2020.
- Entries must follow the contest guidelines in terms of length, adherence to theme and topic.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
- Essays become the property of NMEW and may be used in print, digital and web-based promotional materials by NMEW.
- Cash prizes will be awarded for the top three essays in the following amounts:
- 1st place $500
- 2nd place $250
- 3rd place $150
- Honorable Mention (2) $50
- Winners will be notified by late spring or early summer. NMEW requests that winners attend an in-person, or video conference ceremony that will be held during the summer of 2020, where they will be presented with their prize and a certificate.
- The judging and selection process will be at the sole discretion of New Mexico Ethics Watch, and the judging committee(s) chosen for such purpose. Submissions may be disqualified if submission rules are not followed. Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- Entrants are responsible for complying with these guidelines.
- Open to New Mexico residents only.
- Please submit final materials to email@example.com
Each essay contest entry must be between 500-1000 words and must adhere to the theme: Thinking ethically, do the ends ever justify the means? All essays must be submitted by May 15th, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions must include a cover page that contains the following information:
- Entrant’s full name
- Entrant’s age
- First and last name of the entrant’s parent/guardian (if under 18)
- Entrant’s mailing address
- Name of the high school attended
- High school city and state
- Entrant’s telephone number
- Entrant’s email address
Personal information should only be entered onto the cover sheet, as all essays will be judged blindly.
Any submissions that include personal information in the body of the essay will be automatically disqualified.
All essays will be judged using the following criteria: relevance to theme, clarity, creativity, and grammar/spelling.